Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cinnamon Roll Success and Deviled Egg Disaster

How fitting that on the first day of my blog I experience the sweet and tasty success of a new recipe and a disastrous attempt at what should have been a simple recipe. Let's start with today's failure- we'll save the good stuff for last!
Deviled Eggs. Simple, right? In my thinking they were a done deal; I had even planned ahead and hard-boiled the eggs the day before to save us time on Easter Sunday. The problem came when it was time to peel the eggs. Not my favorite task, but typically an easy one. Not today. Every egg we tried to peel either tore completely in half or took big chunks of the egg white with it.

Hardly something you would want to bring to Easter Dinner! Fortunately, we have understanding friends who were willing to forego the Deviled Eggs. Though I'm still not quite sure what happened, I think it may have had to do with the brand of eggs. Our next attempt with a different brand peeled perfectly.


Now for the success of the day- Cinnamon Rolls. My mom gave me a bread machine for Christmas and this was the first time I've used the dough cycle. The recipe is from the Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. After letting the bread machine do all the kneading and rising, I hand rolled and cut the cinnamon rolls. I let them slow-rise in the fridge overnight and we enjoyed these delicious, sweet rolls after church today.

No comments: