Can you believe that the end of 2010 is almost here?! I'm soaking up the last bits and pieces of 2010 while enjoying two weeks off from work (and really, I ask myself once again, why would anyone choose a job that doesn't give you two weeks off at Christmas?)
Like many of you, I'm spending the next couple of days baking yummy treats and enjoying the Christmas season. Which means I'll have a few recipes to post in the next couple of days (ok, and I'm trying to make up for the complete lack of posts in November- yikes!) The recipe for today doesn't fall in the "yummy treat" category, but it did make a yummy dinner, (I'm officially banning myself from using the word yummy any more in this post!) and I'm particularly fond of the Christmas lights in the pictures!
Fettuccine with Braised Kale
1 pound of Kale
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
8 cloves of garlic, sliced or pressed in garlic press
1/2 pound of fettuccine or spaghetti
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Remove the stem and center rib from the kale. Chop cross-wise into 1/2 inch pieces. Rinse Kale and place in bowl, allowing any water to remain on leaves.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add pressed or sliced garlic and sprinkle with salt. Continue cooking until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the Kale and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss for about 3 minutes, or until Kale is wilted. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes or until Kale is very tender. Stir occasionally and add a teaspoonful of water every so often if dray.
4. While Kale is cooking, cook fettuccine or spaghetti in a medium pot of water. Drain pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
5. Add Kale cooked pasta to Kale mixture. Add Lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of cooking water. Toss to combine. Add more liquid if dry. Top with grated Parmesan Cheese.