I have very strict rules about what kinds of food I will cook at specific times of year. It's taken almost six years, but my husband has now caught on that I will probably never make him roast beef in July. Anyone else out there with me on this one? My husband still thinks I'm weird for this one (but then again, he also eats mashed potatoes and lasagna together- eew!).
Most of you would probably agree that soups are one of those meals that are best enjoyed during the winter on a cold day. Enter this unseasonably warm winter most of the country is experiencing and the fact that I live in Southern California, and finding perfect soup weather has been a challenge! This recipe for French Spring Soup however, is one that is perfect even in warmer weather. It has a nice light, yet flavorful broth and is filled with all sorts of vegetable goodness. On top of that even my one year old and three year old ate the "gegables" without complaint!
I've made this soup before using asparagus, but decided to use brussel sprouts instead this time, and I really loved the buttery flavor they added. Feel free to add or change the vegetables of your choice. One of the best things about soup is that you can use what you have on hand!
4 Tablespoons butter
1 pound of leeks, chopped
1 whole onion, chopped
1-2 stalks of lemon grass (optional)
1 clove of garlic, minced
8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
3 potatoes, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups brussel sprouts, halved
1 quart of water
1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch dill
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1/3 cup barley
1 cup chopped spinach or kale
1 cup half and half
1. In a large pot melt the butter. Add leeks, onion, and garlic and saute until tender.
2. Add the mushrooms and suate for two minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, carrots, and brussel sprouts and saute for two more minutes.
4. Add the water, broth, salt, pepper, dill, parsley, and barley. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the spinach or kale and add the half and half. Cook over low heat for about five more minutes.