Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Heart Valentine Cookies


 These sweet little cookies have been a part of my Valentine's Day baking repertoire since, oh, probably Junior high. Whenever I make them I think of time spent giggling in the kitchen with girlfriends- friends that I am blessed to still call friends today! I haven't made them the last few years- between work and a husband who prefers his cookies with a little a lot of chocolate (have I mentioned that he's the chocolate eater, not me!), I just didn't make time for it. But now with two little one's who's bellies need to be spoiled on Valentine's Day, I just had to make them again.

I should also mention that this cookie recipe, minus the pink frosting, is my go to shaped/ cut-out cookie recipe- even over a traditional sugar cookie. It's just that good (and really what cookie with a whole CUP of butter wouldn't be good!).
















Ingredients

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour

1. Mix first six ingredients with electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually stir in flour by hand until well mixed.
2. Chill for 2 to 3 hours in refrigerator, or in freezer for half an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F. Roll out half the dough at a time, leaving remainder in fridge to keep cook. Roll to about a 1/4 inch thick and then cut out with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 6-10 minutes, until edges of cookie are a light brown.






Enjoy! (our little one's sure did!)

No comments: