Sunday, October 2, 2011

Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts

One thing that I love doing is cooking with my husband. Maybe it's just because life is busy, or maybe because I'm not very good at asking for help (or relinquishing control of the kitchen for that matter), but it seems it doesn't happen very often.
While browsing pinterest last night I stumbled across this recipe for "Petite Pumpkin Spice Donuts" from the blog "Blue- Eyed Bakers." Oh, sweet mouth watering goodness- I had to make them! And so what was going to be an uneventful night after putting the kids to bed (my re-reading of the Harry Potter books would just have to wait), turned into a husband-wife baking extravaganza.
Okay, maybe calling it an extravaganza is a bit much, but we did have fun and the results (although not as pretty as the picture on pinterest) were oh, so good!
This recipe calls for the use of a petite doughnut pan, which of course I did not have on hand, so instead i used a muffin pan. The result was a tasty, though not necessarily pretty or traditional looking doughnut. We still managed to eat them...lots of them. This may have just started a doughnut obsession- next on my list is apple cider doughnuts (and my mouth is watering as I think about it!).


Recipe for Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
3/4 of a can of pumpkin (This is the amount I used which was more than the original recipe- I wanted to make sure you could really taste the pumpkin)
1/2 cup milk

For the sugar coating:
1/2 cup of melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a doughnut pan or muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. In a large mixing bowl (i used my mixer for this) mix together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
4. Spoon into pans. For the muffin pans I used approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter for each doughnut. If you are using a mini-muffin pan or a doughnut pan then you can fill with batter. Bake until doughnuts spring back when gently pressed. For my regular muffin pan doughnuts this was 12-15 minutes. Use less time for smaller doughnuts.
5. Turn doughnuts onto a wire rack and prepare the topping by melting butter and in a separate bowl mixing sugar and cinnamon. While doughnuts are still warm dip in butter or brush with a pastry brush, then roll in cinnamon sugar. Enjoy while still warm!

*We only coated the doughnuts we were eating that night, and then saved the rest to be reheated and coated the next day. I reheated in the toaster oven to help restore a little bit of the baked edges (the best part of a doughnut if you ask me!).



No comments: