Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rich, Hot Rolls and One Year of Blogging!

This month marks the one year anniversary of my food blog! Wow, how time has flown, and how things have changed since then! The last month has been crazy and thus devoid of new recipes (sad times for my husband who's always excited to be my recipe tester!) And this post is also sadly bereft of any pictures. For that reason I almost didn't post, but I just had to share this recipe with you all.
It's nothing new- one that I've been making since junior high- and was given to our family by some dear friends. (In fact my recipe is still the one I wrote out in 8th or 9th grade on my homemade recipe card!) It's become an Easter tradition for me to make these Rich, Hot Rolls, and at the first bite (which you must have when they are still warm from the oven!) I always ask why I don't make them more often. They take a bit of time as they need to rise and require kneading, but they are well worth all the work.

Rich, Hot Rolls

Ingredients:
8 cups of flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons yeast
1 cup warm milk
1 cup warm water
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter (to brush on top)

Directions:
1. Mix together 2-3 cups of flour (I usually do 2), 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the 2 tablespoons of yeast.
2. Add 1 cup of warm milk and 1 cup of warm water. Stir to mix well. It should be a pasty consistency (this is called a sponge)- allow to rise in a warm place for 15 to 30 minutes. It should become a little bubbly looking and will approximately double in size.
3. Add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix well and gradually add remaining flour. You may add up to the full 8 cups (including the 2-3 cups you used at the beginning) but, less is better. Add enough to get it to the consistency where you are able to turn the dough out onto a floured surface to knead. Continue to add flour as necessary.
This time I used about 6 1/2 cups of flour, at other times I have used the full eight. It just depends on the stickiness of your dough!
4. Knead well (about 5 minutes).
5. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes and then shape into rolls. (this is where I wish I had taken pictures to show you...I roll it into a long "snake" and then coil it into a roll shape. Let rise, then brush with butter.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Don't forget to eat at least one with butter when they are fresh from the oven.

1 comment:

Linsay said...

Jenny...I think I remember these very same rolls from 8th grade :-) So delicious. Thanks for sharing!