Friday, March 25, 2011

Hummus Crusted Chicken

So the other day I had my meal all planned out, but then all day long this chicken on the cover of my March issue of Better Homes and Gardens just kept staring at me (Ok, I guess I was the one doing the staring, and the more I stared the hungrier I got!). It required a little bit of improvising, but in the end it was worth it.It did make me think too that if there was one area that I've improved in the most when it comes to cooking, it would have to be the ability to improvise and make adjustments to a recipe. When I first got married (thus no longer living in dorm and eating caf food) I was a staunch recipe follower, fearful that doing anything other than exactly what the recipe called for would result in disaster. In the last 4 1/2 years I've become much braver about deviating from a recipe and the results are often worth it!

Hummus - Crusted Chicken

1 15-16 ounce can of navy beans (or garbanzo beans) rinsed, and drained
5-6 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and ground black pepper
2 cups coarse soft bread crumbs

1. Prepare Hummus by combining beans, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and the lemon/lime juice ina blender or food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spread chicken with a layer of the hummus on both sides then roll in bread crumbs.
3. Heath the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 12 minutes or until internal temperature registers 160 F, flipping once. If needed, add more oil. If crumbs brown too quickly you can reduce the heat.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Candace said...

I'm a hummus lover, so this is genius!