Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Savory Pumpkin Scones

I've never been someone who loved the color orange. In fact as I kid I distinctly remember thinking that kids who said their favorite color was orange were weird (boy, I must have been a snobby little kid!). I guess the tables have turned because orange has grown to become one of my favorite colors- especially this time of year. From the bright orange of pumpkins to the deep orange of changing leaves, or the reddish orange color of my mums (which, by the way it has taken four years, but I finally have kept my mums alive!) I just love the harvest look of the color orange. I guess I'm the weird kid now.
Along with decking my house out in all the orange I can find, I've been scouring recipe books and magazines for new fall recipes. Last month Better Homes and Gardens did a feature article with Nigella Lawson which included a recipe for pumpkin scones. However, don't be deceived into thinking of a sweet breakfast treat. These scones are savory (and in my opinion more like a biscuit) and the perfect accompaniment to a good soup!
oh, and by the way, they come out a beautiful shade of orange!

Pumpkin Scones

Ingredients
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cup teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Milk


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl mix the pumpkin, Parmesan, melted butter, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Fold dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture, stirring until just combined into a dough.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat down until dough is 1 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a turned over drinking glass, cut out biscuits and place on a an ungreased baking sheet. Reform dough and repeat until all the dough is used.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the biscuits with milk to glaze. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Cool slightly and eat with butter.
Enjoy!

No comments: