Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sisters and Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Living in Southern California, the only way to tell that fall is here is if Starbucks is selling pumpkin spice latte's, and today I had my first one of the season. I will confess that it was a contraband pumpkin spice latte though. While other friends apparently had no problem getting their pumpkin spice today, our Starbucks informed me that I couldn't order one until next weekend. I was so disappointed...until the barrista handed me my drink and whispered that he had made it a pumpkin spice for me. I'm definitely leaving bigger tips from now on!

Despite my urge to pull out my fall decorations and start adding pumpkin to everything I bake, I am forcing myself to not really consider it fall until after labor day. (Hopefully by then I won't have to buy my pumpkin spice latte's under cover). And since it's still summer I have a few more summer recipes to post this week!

This recipe for Haddock with Zucchini Salsa Verde is one that I made a few weeks ago in New Hampshire when I got to cook with my sisters. Just writing about it makes me miss them (and makes me want to make this again!).



Haddock with Zucchini Salsa Verde (revised from Epicurious)

2 medium sized zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped white onion
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped and seeded chiles
1 14 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
6, 6- ounce haddock fillets (original recipe called for Halibut but we decided to go with a more New Englandy fish!)

1. Combine zucchini, cilantro, onion, lime juice, chiles, and lime peel in a blender or food processor. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt. Puree until salsa is smooth. Cover and chill.







2. Preheat broiler and arrange fish on a foil-lined pan. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Cook in broiler for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until fish is flaky.

3. Transfer fish to plates and top with salsa.

Enjoy!


No comments: